Friday, April 3, 2009

The Gift and the Cost of the Gift

If you're starting to notice a theme in the stuff you read here you're probably right. The keystone of this ministry is salvation through Jesus Christ and the gift of Grace. Well, actually, that's part 1. Part 2 is how the gift of grace affects your relationships with the people around you. Those two things, taken together, are the two sole ingredients in making your marriage a better place. With Easter upon us, I'm making an attempt to show you how these things fit together in a very real and personal way. I believe that it's easy to lose the reality and the impact of Easter in all the noise of impending springtime, NCAA Basketball, a nice Easter ham, and a long nap.

So that you and I wouldn't have to - Jesus was laid out on a wooden cross. Iron spikes, 4 to 6 inches long, were hammered through his wrists into the wooden beams. Then his feet were positioned, one on top of the other, and a spike hammered through the tops of both feet into the beam. The cross was then set vertical in a hole and large wooden shim pressed into the hole on either side to hold it in place. If the scourging that the Roman soldiers gave him was the beginning of the end, this was the end of the end. I don't know about you - but I cannot wrap my brain around the amount of excruciating pain that was dealt out when Jesus was hung on the cross. It should have been me - It should have been you. He did that so that you and I wouldn't have to.

There were two others. Jesus' cross was set in between two other crosses where two other criminals were also being executed. Two guys, both convicted criminals. One of them got it, the other one didn't. As the soldiers and the Jewish leaders were lobbing insults at Jesus from the ground one of the other men being executed bated him with a sarcasm.

Luke 23:39 "One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

I think this was the guy who had issues of personal responsibility. "I was framed, man! I didn't do this!" You know the type - the reason why he's here is because someone else screwed up. It's not his fault and it's so unfair that he's being held responsible for it.

The other man was different, maybe more quiet and remorseful. He understood his part in the events that were playing out. He knew where his responsibilities lay. He got it - that he deserved to be hanging there for the wrong things he did.

Luke 23:40, 41 "But the other criminal rebuked him . 'Don't you fear God,' he said, 'since you are under the same sentence? we are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

This guy had humility and maturity. I am punished justly, for I am getting what my deeds deserve. He got it! And for his humility and responsibility he was rewarded.

Luke 23:43 "Jesus answered him, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

So many times I see husbands full of pride and ego, like the first criminal. There is no humility in the way they relate to their wives. The attitude is that if anything is wrong in the relationship someone else better take care of it. Don't frame me for being the bad guy. I didn't do anything to get us in this place! The only thing being executed here is the marriage.

It takes the crucifixion of one's self in order for a man to gain the attitude of the other criminal. Hey, I know I screwed this up. I have a part in the dysfunction of this relationship. I own this but I don't want it to stay this way.

I want to leave you with this. It's a quote from the material that is used in the Exchanged Life Conference at the Life Center in Grand Rapids, MI.

Jesus Christ gave his life for us,

so that he could give his life to us,

in order to live his life through us


Think about how the gift of grace and what Jesus Christ did on the cross can affect you - and in turn, effect your relationship with your wife.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: