Sunday, July 27, 2008

Remodeling of Dreams

If my pastor knew what I really took  home from some of his messages I think he'd be frustrated with me.   I 'm sure there are times when the message God gives me, personally, isn't the message Pastor Jeff intends me to get - or maybe it is.   Last night in church was one of those times.  

Something he said stuck with me through the night and I'd like to share it with you and maybe build on it.  As humans, specifically Americans, I think we get trapped in the ways of popular culture.  I know I do.  Culture says that to be respected I should own my home - after all, interest rates are low and it's a buyer's market.    Culture says I should drive a clean, newer model car - if I can't afford to buy I should lease.  Culture says I need to send my kids to school in the latest casual fashion designs.  Culture, culture, culture.  

Romans 12:2 is a piece of the Bible that my pastor used to support something on an entirely different subject.  

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good pleasing, and perfect will.

He paraphrased this in a way that made it real for me.  Think of this as Remodeling your Dreams.  Having spent some time in the home improvement business - I got this!  Remodeling my dreams!  

As men, we are constantly pressured to establish our identity in cultural things.  The big thing is our careers.  Without a job that pays a respectable amount of money we're somehow just not men.  Maybe we feel that our identity is defined by the car we drive, the home we live in, or something else.  We need to remodel our dreams by tearing out and demolishing what popular culture wants us to be, rebuilding our manhood after what God thinks we should be.  

I say we.   When I'm writing here and when I'm talking to you, I'm also talking to myself.  I had a chat the other day with a spiritual heavyweight.  I told him that when I write this stuff I'm writing it first for myself.  I can't expect to have an impact on  your life unless mine is in line.  Yet, I struggle with the same things you struggle with.  We're in the canoe together.

Please think about how  your dreams need to be remodeled.  And please share a comment if you can.

No comments: