Sunday, July 20, 2008

Keepin' it Real

Galations 6: 1a

1
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. 

I've been working with Donnie, painting houses for the last couple of months.  Donnie is not only a great guy for the work he does and the craftsman-like way that he does it.  Donnie is one of those individuals in this century that you can call a man of  God.  For Donnie, to move from painter to pastor is not a big step.  

Donnie has no fear of being seen as a Jesus-follower.  He possesses a courage and confidence about his faith that I envy.  Further, as a brother in Christ, he has no problems with calling someone out on issues of faith and Christian living.  I know this first-hand because, in the past three weeks, Donnie has called me out on a couple of things.  He first called me out on the issue of God's providence (God's ability to provide everything my family needs and in His own perfect timing).  He also called me out on an issue of stewardship - a matter of wants versus needs.   What's more, he did it in a way that didn't belittle or berate me.  He simply called it what it was and pointed out that what I was doing is wrong.

You see, Donnie lives the verse listed at the beginning of this post.  He knows the verse, knows where to find it, knows what it means to practice it, and has the courage to actually put it to use.  How many of us men can say that?  How many of us that call ourselves followers of Jesus Christ can say with sincerity that we live the Bible?  If I do - I don't do it nearly enough.  

Donnie doesn't have a gold cross hanging around his neck, he doesn't have the little Christian fish symbol on his business cards, he doesn't witness to the waitress at the diner.  However, spend any amount of time with this cat and it's very clear where he comes down.  He's just keepin' it real.

2 comments:

Bert DeVries said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bert DeVries said...

Thanks to Caroline for nudging me to make another post. I needed a push.