Friday, June 27, 2008

Spirit Realm - Is It Really There?

I make no bones about the fact that this blog is for Christians.  With that reminder to the readers, I speak from experience (recent and painful experience) about the battles that go on in my life between the good and evil.  I take this very seriously - more seriously than I used to.  This is not a symbolic or metaphoric game of tug of war.  I believe that battles in the spirit realm are real, the stakes are high, and the struggle is ugly. 

The first thing you need to have a grasp on is that we Christians were created by God to have a free will.  I am free to make my own choices.  At times the choices I make serve to develop my relationship with God to deeper levels of love and understanding.  At other time, my choices are in the opposite direction and I move away from God.  God created us all with the ability to choose.  He wants us to come to him of our free will and not because he programmed us to follow him.

No one has a greater understanding of free will than satan.  After all, he was the first to exercise it.  He left the presence of God.  What's more, he exploits that understanding of our free will and puts his demons to work on us.  Doubt, depression, poor self image, apathy, and fear are all tools in satan's tool box.  He uses them all (sometimes all at once) to keep us from making decisions that will develop a better, closer walk with our God.

If satan can use the tools at his disposal to keep me from being an effective follower of God and keep me from being an example of human decency and morality to the world, his work is going well.  That's what the last week has been for me.  I've been lazy, beaten down, discouraged, irritable, and a pain in the butt to live with.  There are good reasons for all these things.  The devil has given me all sorts of very plausible reasons to justify my behavior.  After all, who wouldn't act this way given the circumstances, right?  

Choices.  Pure and simple.  I have made the decision to be lazy.  I have made the decision to quit when I've been discouraged instead of seeking help and encouragement from my support network.  I have heard the voices on my shoulder saying "If you call again, people are going to start thinking you're a head case and they won't want to talk to you anymore".   And naturally, all of these things snowball into a bad attitude toward my wife, my kids, and life in general.  I have come to resent anyone who has a job and has their bills paid.  

I also believe that being aware is half the battle.  If I understand what's happening in the spirit realm I am empowered and I can be a better warrior.  If I know that my attitude is bad because there's a battle going on, I can make a greater effort to read my Bible and to spend more time in prayer.  I know that I have to stay in contact with the friends and family in my support network so they can encourage and strengthen me.  

One final note.  If you're a Christian, any changes you make in your life to move closer to God or to do God's work in your life WILL be met with resistance in the spirit realm.  If you're not a Christian, any movement you make toward God WILL be met with resistance.  Satan will put any and all of his resources to use to keep you ineffective and apathetic.  He's happy as long as you don't make any bold moves toward God.  

Be aware.  Be strong.  If you need help, there's help here.  We can't help you if we don't know you're there.  

Thanks for taking the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Satan must be working over-time all over the place this week!! But you're right Bert, being aware is an important step. Stay close to God and your family/friends for support.

PS...good point in your excerpt from the book

Anonymous said...

It's been a few weeks since this post. Just wanted to let you know there are readers waiting for something new to read! LOL
J/K...Hope all is going well...You and your family are in my prayers.
*hugs*