Friday, May 2, 2008

Family Leadership

In the coming weeks I'm going to begin work, alongside my wife, on the fourth chapter of my book. It's important to me that I take my time with this one and really work through the research so that I get it right.  The chapter is about how a man appropriately and effectively leads his marriage and his family.  I feel that it's important to involve my spouse in this project because it will not only help us to more clearly identify the expectations and roles in our  own marriage - it will also lend some credibility to the concept as a whole.  

In today's popular culture men are picked on and promoted as lovable idiots who are ineffective and incapable of anything but generating a paycheck.  Prime time sitcoms on TV clearly establish women as more intelligent, effective, and better leaders than their bumbling spouses. In reality, men may deserve some part of the bad rap they've received.  I've been blessed with a large group of close friends.  Yet in that relatively large group nearly all of the men/husbands/fathers are men of integrity and character.  A few of them are guys that I wish
I could be more like.  And there are those few who need to (but probably won't ever) step up and become what they're families need them to be.

Underneath all this is my desire to encourage married men to be the best husbands and fathers that they can be.  I want them to discover the benefits of rolling up their sleeves and working toward a better relationship instead of settling for the way things have always been done.  I want to have a part - even if a small one - in making someone's marriage better than it is today.  

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

No comments: