Friday, April 25, 2008

Heros

On November 17, 2000, my hero was taken down by a tumor that spanned both hemispheres of his brain. He was seven years older than me. There was nothing he couldn't do. I'm not sure anyone ever asked him to leap a tall building but I'm sure he could figure out how to get it done. He was the problem solver, the answer man, the go-to guy. He was my hero. He was my big brother.

George understood, more than most people, that a man is measured by his character. He knew that people watched him, looked at him, looked to him - looked up to him. He was aware. As such, my brother conducted himself to the highest degree of integrity possible. There's the old cliche - Nobody's Perfect. And he wasn't. But I don't know many people who had more integrity and strength of character than he did.

He wasn't the only hero I have. There's a select few others that I have really looked up to over the years. Some have passed on. Some are still around. But all had/have that understanding that people do watch and pay attention. They know that character and integrity counts. They get it.

Whose hero are you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when your brother passed, you felt like you could never live up to his legacy.

I remember you struggling with your own weaknesses in your life.

I don't think you ever saw yourself as the "leader" your brother was, or the example he was.

What do you think he would think if he was watching you now? Leading by not only example, but as a man with flaws and faults who has decided to use them to reach out and touch others with the same?

A leader. Not because you are better than others, but because you have decided to just "be", and allow God to use you as you are to encourage others.

He'd be proud.

So am I

Love your friend, Joanne.

Anonymous said...

*smile*

(no comment needed after Joanne's)